Tuesday 3 December 2013

Proposal for Music Magazine

The audience i will be targeting my magazine at are those who are fans of the pop genre and listen to pop music. I will aim to target teenage girls aged 13-16. It will be a magazine only accessible in the UK and therefore the audience will be spread to those who live in the UK region and like pop culture.
The image i have proposed for my cover is a teenage girl who acts as the pop artists, the style will be fun and girly showing this with the expressions and poses. It has a white plain background so that this becomes effective and easy to work with when placing text and features onto the cover. I photographed the images at home in a room with good lighting, and used lighting effects to brighten it further.
The genre of music i have chosen is pop, i concluded this would be the best genre to appeal to because of the popularity and the mass audience it could be targeted at. It is a genre with a wide spread of content that could be featured and many people will be enticed to buy it for the genre it is.
The content i will include in my pop magazine is typically gossip in relation to pop artists. It will feature interviews, facts, new releases, quizzes and competitions. It will initially be like the mainstream pop magazines, except mine will include more music related topics as well as gossip and will include less fashion content. The target audience will have a selection of everything they hope to find in a pop magazine plus more. I have chosen the main topics of 'Pop, Gossip, Boys' because those are the conventional features of a pop magazine for the target audience i have chosen to aim at.
From researching other pop magazines i have come up with a selection of cover lines which would fit with the content of my magazine. '1Dful Prizes to be won!' this would entice the reader because the '1D' relates to One Direction, suggesting there will be prizes in relation to them to be won in the magazine, '1Dful' is a catchy way of saying wonderful and will capture the audiences attention when they see '1D'. 'Pops Hottest Couple' 'Big confessions' 'Exclusive look at ...' cover lines like this will be used on my magazine because they reflect the gossip aspect, they will entice the audience because they are short lines which do not explicitly reveal what is included and therefore the magazine has to be purchased to find out the full aspect. 'Harry Styles reveals all! '"I'd date a fan"' a cover line like this will attract fans of one direction because of the quote and the secrecy they would want to read more. I will also have puff and plugs like '101 facts' 'Plus...' 'Free poster with this issue!'. For the main cover line it will include the name of the new pop artist in which i have photographed for the main image, it will have cover line of 'Pops Newest Edition'. Other pop artists names will be menioned to attract a wider variety of people who are fans of a selection of celebrities, such as Miley Cyrus, Justin Bieber, Little Mix, Olly Murs.
The title i have decided on is 'Voice' the reason for this is because I wanted my masthead to consist of just one word to keep it simple yet effective. Having a one word title dominates the cover and will catch the audiences attention. The style can also be altered more effectively. The word voice has a direct correlation to music. For a pop magazine it sounds fun and shows the music aspect to the magazine. I rejected other title ideas such as 'Factor', 'Teen Pop', 'Pop Party', 'Love Pop' due to the fact that they sounded to conventional for a Pop magazine. I wanted the magazine cover itself to have the pop vibe without being to perceptible with the name. They were also ones that would be commonly used for a pop magazine and therefore i decided to steer away from that.
The fonts i opt to use on my cover will be a range of san serif fonts. I have decided to dismiss the use of serif fonts on my cover because they do not emulate the current feel of a pop genre magazine. i have chosen to use fonts like Century Gothic, Arial Black, Calibri, Chalkduster and Veranda, i think these font styles will create a fun and relevant feel to my cover and make it look young and creative.
I will aim to publish my magazine in spring/summer, this reasoning for this is because of the colour and themes i wish to use. I want the initial colour scheme to include bright colours. I will use the colour pink because it is a stereotypical female colour and will show the fun/bubblegum pop aspect to my magazine. To add additional colour i will include blue or green because it will compliment the pink colour and stand out on the cover, the cover lines will alternate in each of these colours. The colour white will also be obvious on my cover. Due to it being published during this time i will feature topics which corroborate this. It will be published on a monthly basis, i think this is realistic in terms of the content that could be included. By doing it monthly it could have a wider and more elaborate update on the previous issue, for example new music releases, up to date gossip, chart music and tour dates. it could also change with the seasons and events that occur during the year.
The dimensions of my music magazine will be the average A4 size. 19 width x 27 length. 
For my contents page i will continue will the general theme of my cover, using the same pink, blue and white colour scheme. The images will include my own photography from concerts, a photo of my featured new artist and possibly images that relate to my content like make up or prizes that could be won. The price of my magazine will be £2.50, i have chosen to price it as this because as i researched other pop magazines i found that both 'We love Pop' and 'Top of the Pops' are priced at £2.99, therefore i opted to be cheaper in order to compete with existing magazines. 

No comments:

Post a Comment